School starts August 10th
There have been some good "back to school" related stories in the local media. Here are some links. (There links will take you to other websites.)
Links to stories in River Scene magazine:
- Thunderbolt Registration/Orientation Day (This one is a video.)
Links to stories in Today's News-Herald newspaper
- LHUSD Welcomes New Teachers. (article)
- LHUSD Welcomes New Teachers. (pictures)
- Thunderbolt Middle School registration
- Lake Havasu High School athletic director looking for ways to keep sports programs alive.
- Parents and students prepare for the new school year.
Once school starts, drivers will be sharing the road with students and school buses. For a refresher on how to handle school crosswalks and school buses, we have posted relevant pages from the Arizona Driver License Manual. The full manual is available online at the Arizona Department of Motor Vehicles website. Please drive safely and, if you are driving a student to school, leave home early and give yourself a few extra minutes to get them there safely and on time.
The Lake Havasu City Police Department made a video about crosswalk safety. It contains lots of good information. For instance, did you know that normal pedestrian crosswalks are marked with white paint while school crosswalks are painted yellow? Did you know the stopping requirement for a vehicle approaching an occupied school crosswalk is different than that of a vehicle approaching an occupied normal crosswalk? Watch the video.
Some school supplies available
Thanks to our generous community, we have some school supplies available for those who may not be able to set their child up with all the necessary items. If you need assistance, please contact your child's school.
Parent survey results
Lake Havasu Unified posts an online parent involvement survey each year. Results of the latest survey are available here.
LHHS graduation ceremony photo galleries
Amy DePuydt receives K-12 Foundation Golden Apple Award
The K-12 Foundation for LHUSD#1 presented the Sherry Dailey Golden Apple Award for May, 2015 to Amy DePuydt. Mrs. DePuydt teaches fifth grade math and science at Nautilus Elementary School. More and a picture.
Eleventh Annual K-12 Academic Recognition Banquet honors amazing students and teachers
Please take a look at the new website LHC4Kids.com. From the site:
Our community wants a great education for our children. A group of businesses and churches have partnered together to raise support for the Lake Havasu Elementary Schools. Each of the six public elementary schools has submitted a “needs” list of resources, technology and training that will assist them in continuing in educational excellence. Our community goal is $60,000 ($10,000 per school) with $6,000 already pledged by the sponsors. We invite you to join us in supporting our children today!
We are adding a permanent link for this site to our QUICKLINKS list to the left. (If you are using a smaller, hand held device, QUICKLINKS will show up near the bottom on the page.)
LHHS has a new marquee, thanks to a generous donation
Donations to support technology
Our thanks to Linda Denovan of The Denovan Group Real Estate Professionals for making a donation of $1600 that will be used for technology items as listed below. We also thank the K-12 Foundation for LHUSD #1 for their involvement.
- One new digital projector for Lake Havasu High School.
- Chromebooks and Chromebook parts for Thunderbolt Middle School.
- Replacement projector bulbs for schools as needed.
Pictured (left to right): Michelle Burke (district technology integration specialist) and LHUSD superintendent Gail Malay will put the donation to good use.
We also wish to thank Laura Prahl from Edward Jones for a donation of $300. This money will buy a new document camera for a Lake Havasu High School science teacher and a spare projector bulb for schools as needed.
Pictured (left to right): Laura Prahl passes a check to district technology integration specialist Michelle Burke.
Community Forum on Education and Superintendent Search
If you missed the community forum on April 30, you can watch video of the meeting and review the PowerPoint presentations online. Show me!
Recent articles from River Scene Magazine
River Scene Magazine features stories about Lake Havasu City and the surrounding area. Here are links to several recent stories about Lake Havasu Unified School District.
- Young Fashionistas and Designers Shine at Annual LHHS Fashion Show 4/18/15
- Teacher Appreciation Week at Starline 5/5/15
- It was a great year for Lake Havasu High School athletes 5/8/15
- Teacher Spotlight : Deborah Strother Fashion Design & Merchandising CTE Teacher 3/12/15
- N.O.V.A. graduation 3/6/15
- Smoketree Students Get a Big Surprise 2/20/15
- Education Spotlight: Lynn Burns, School Nurse 2/16/15
- Teacher Spotlight: Brian Zemojtel History Teacher at LHHS 2/9/15
- Teacher Spotlight: Rebecca Pehling 1/7/15
Other recent stories
Stories from our website or other sites.
- LHHS team wins 2015 Mohave Community College Mathlympics 4/10/15
- LHHS students + state competitions = lots of gold, silver, and bronze 4/27/15
- Pennies for pupils: Arizona school spending again ranks near bottom of states 6/3/15
- “I am amazed that we can do experiments with Arizona State University professors and students.” 2/25/15
- Changing the world starts with a handshake 1/16/15
- Let's talk about measles
- Congratulations to our newest NBC teachers
- Solar Project signs at LHHS and district office
- Story archive
Stories from the local newspaper. (These links will take you to the newspaper's website.)
- Bigger and better: Lake Havasu High School band preps for new year. 7/28/15
- Gail Malay retires after decade leading Havasu schools. 6/5/15
- Scott Becker wins Chamber of Commerce leadership award. 6/16/15
- LHHS student council wins bid to host Arizona convention 2/10/15
- Oro Grande 1st grade students celebrate Thanksgiving 11/26/14
- Starline 6th graders show off Rube Goldberg contraptions 11/21/14
- Havasu students hit groove in blended learning pilot 11/18/14
- Old Skybox restaurant to become WAVE JTED Culinary Arts school 9/10/14 (More about this in the JTED newsletter.)
- Thunderbolt seeking wins in classrooms 8/13/14
- Story Archive