School Bus Rules*
These rules are in place for the safe operation of LHUSD school buses. They help ensure the bus driver can concentrate on driving without being distracted by misbehaving passengers. They also minimize distractions so passengers can hear and respond to instructions in case of an emergency.
- Be at the bus stop 15 minutes before the pick up time.
- Get in a line when the school bus is approaching and stand ten feet from the curb.
- Never cross or go behind bus at any time.
- When getting on and off the bus, always use the steps and handrail, never jump.
- Take your assigned seat quietly and quickly.
- Students must sit facing forward at all times.
- Talk in class room voices.
- Do not act or behave in a manner that interferes with safe operation of the bus.
- BULLYING WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.
- No pushing, shoving, touching or spitting on bus.
- DO NOT EAT ANY FOOD OR DRINK ANY LIQUID OTHER THAN WATER WHILE ON BUS; NO CHEWING GUM ON BUS.
- Keep the aisle clear at all times.
- Band instruments or athletic equipment shall be under the passenger's control at all time and will not occupy a seat needed by another student.
- Keep all parts of your body and all other objects inside the bus. DO NOT THROW ANYTHING FROM THE BUS.
- Never leave your seat while bus is in motion.
- Remain seated until the bus comes to a complete stop.
- Do not open or close windows without the permission of the bus driver.
- Never bring light emitting devices on the bus (laser lights, lighters, matches, noisemakers, etc.)
- No cell phone usage on bus. Phones must be put away and turned off.
- No electronic devises (music players, video games, etc.) out or in operation while on school bus.
- Your personal items should be put away in purse, backpack, or pocket while on the bus.
- Respect other people and their personal property on the bus and at the bus stops.
- Never talk to the bus driver while the bus is in motion.
- Backpacks, purses, or similar items will remain closed at all times on school bus.
- No animals, insects, reptiles, or large science projects allowed.
- Skateboards, scooters, or similar items are not allowed on school bus.
- NO HATS, JACKET HOODS, CAPS or other head gear are to be worn on the school bus.
- No foul language or improper hand gestures toward students, bus driver or general public.
- Property damage to the school bus, bus stop or other person’s possessions will be reported to the police.
- After school, board the bus immediately upon being released from class. The bus driver is on a scheduled route and does not have time to wait.
- Registered students will not be allowed to get off the bus at a different bus stop, nor will they be permitted to switch buses for any reason without re-registering. Non-registered students will not be permitted to ride the school bus.
Spraying of perfume or other scented substances is not allowed while on the bus.
Restitution will be made for any damage which occurs to a school bus. Failure to make restitution will result in denial of all school bus privileges for one full school year.
- BE COURTEOUS TO THE BUS DRIVERS AT ALL TIMES. OBEY THEIR INSTRUCTIONS.
- Weapons of any kind are not allowed on school buses at anytime.
- Fighting on school buses will not be tolerated
- No tobacco products or non prescription drugs allowed on the bus.
1st Bus Conduct Report: students receive denial of bus privileges for three days.
2nd Bus Conduct Report: student receives denial of bus privileges for five days.
3rd Bus Conduct Report: student receives denial of bus privileges for a school year from date of report.
Students will receive immediate denial of school bus privileges for a school year from date of report for the following:
- Physical harm, fighting, stabs a student.
- Bringing any type of a weapon or explosive onto a school bus.
- Possessing tobacco products or non-prescription drugs.
- Other major violation or dangerous incident.
DO NOT DETAIN THE SCHOOL BUS AT A BUS STOP. If you wish to talk to the driver send a note with your child that has a telephone number where we can contact you. The driver will call you after they have completed their routes.
* At no time does this list intend to cover all rules and regulations pertaining to Transportation.